Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday, August 20th - 7 weeks post-procedure

Yesterday, I went to pick up my orthotics and hope this helps my arch that completely collapses and turns in when I walk.  As for the arthritis and swelling in this foot, it was suggested that I massage it with Arnica cream 3-4 times a day.  I now have to slowly get use to my new orthotics by wearing them every day but to start slowly and increase the time in them every day.

I can still walk in the house with just my cane but I don't feel as sturdy as I did from two weeks ago.  Although I walked up the stairs from the basement last night, it was a lot more strenuous than a few weeks ago. 

I sent in my procedure CD to Dr. Sandy McDonald  who I will be seeing for a follow-up doppler ultrasound in Barrie, Ontario on Sept. 24th.  I worry about re-stenosis! 

Someone on the MS forum mentioned the following analogy which makes a lot of sense to me in regards to our collapsed veins and one of the Doctors who does the procedure calls this "elastic recoil":

Imagine a garden hose that has been lying in the sun with a huge, heavy rock on it - say from 30-60 years. Suddenly someone notices and removes the rock. Where the rock was the hose is squished flat & no water gets through. Now you can manipulate this hose, run a stick thru it, etc. and get it to re-inflate to it's normal size. But because the structure of the hose had become so accustomed to being flattened where the rock was, gradually it may recollapse. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. If it does, you have to decide is the hose strong enough to endure another manipulation?


I follow the people who were with me in Poland and her are some of the comments that they have mentioned:

- Some small positive effects to symptoms but the main gait/spasticity/drop foot hasn't seen much improvement. Varies all the time which I've become accustomed to over the years so definitely not worse.

- I'm not doing well either. I have alot of fluctuations of symptoms and very low energy, still fatigued. My neuralgia seems worse and other symptoms the same.

- My wife has also had a few worse days. She had her walker parked until this morning. Saturday when we went for our walk she was having trouble with just a cane. With the walker today it went well.

- I have no changes to report. Nothing really changed for me after Poland, except maybe a little clearer head and more frequent symptom fluctuation. I am starting to think about a round two angioplasty. I'll be a little more aggressive this time (as I declined a stent in Poland).

- I am wondering if they will put in a second stent? I would probably get a second one if I could. My energy seems to be slipping away which saddens me. I do not want to go back to where I was before Poland. However my body seems stronger and my walking has remained good.

- In my case (SPMS for 3 years), I saw some improvement in vitality, walking, libido, erection and warn hands and feet for about 10 days. Except warmer hands and feet, all is gone now. Why, I really don't know. I had no stenosis but faulty valves. Was it a placebo effect, or will the effect of the treatment amount to nothing more then stopping the disease? Or are the valves screwed up again, I just don't know. Only time will tell and I guess no one knows!  I intend to go back to Tyche for follow up in October.

- You mentioned warm hands and feet, something I had wished for but alas that never came to be. Still there are little pluses I hope will stay. A return to Poland is not in my plans, hope to find a place closer to home for any further tests. If this will stop progression that would be great.

- I experienced some positive symptom relief and then lost some of the improvement. But right now I'm doing better than before the procedure. And I feel that I know what works to improve my health if I need to get some kind of treatment in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment