Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February 1, 2011 - Blood Clot

I know I haven't written in a while but it's because I was waiting to go for my doppler ultrasound in Barrie, Ontario yesterday.  The technician did not have good news for me as I was told I have a blood clot in my left internal jugular vein.  This is the vein that Dr. Sclafani had some difficulty with.  In his report, he mentions that it was quite difficult to get into the left internal jugular vein. There were multiple areas of abnormal valves and hyperplastic areas. I finally had two areas on that side ballooned and after the procedure that side was very painful and I was told to take Tylenol. 

I was really surprised that I had a blood clot since I don't have a stent and I was on an anticoagulant for 21 days after the procedure and then I continued on baby aspirin every day.  I'm a bit worried about this blood clot especially after seeing the urgency at the clinic in getting in touch with my doctor and still having some discomfort in my neck since my procedure depending on how I turn my head. Also, for the past few weeks I wake up feeling like I have a headache starting or more like some slight head pressure but it eventually clears up somewhat.  I also wonder if this is why I have not had any major improvements. I don't know much about this and whether blood thinners alone can disolve the blood clot but at least it's been discovered and I have proper followup.  I also informed Dr. Sclafani, the doctor in Brooklyn, and he was sorry that this happened.  He wants me to keep him informed so that we can look at what we need to do after the anticoagulation is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment