Tuesday, February 15, 2011

More Blood Work - February 15

Today I got the doppler ultrasound results from my appointment on Feb. 2.  It shows that my right internal jugular vein to be normal flow.  But on the left side it says that the internal jugular vein does not appear patent with trombus imaged.  No flow was obtained by pulsed doppler suggestive of venous trombosis.

I started to take coumadin (an anticoagulant drug) that day and have since been having blood work done twice a week.  This test is called the PT/INR and it used to monitor the effects of blood thinning drugs.  The normal ratio is 1 and my results were 1 the first week and then 1.1 last Friday.  My doctor has increased my coumadin amounts twice so that I am up to 2 pills or 10 mg a day.  I guess the best ratio for anyone with a blood clot is to get it betwen 2 and 3.  I had a blood test today and will be having another one on Thursday so I'm anxious to see if the extra coumadin gets the level up! 

I go for another doppler ultrasound in Barrie next Tuesday, Feb. 22nd which is also the day of our 20th wedding anniversary so getting good results would be a nice gift! 

I had a good friend and his wife over this weekend.  This friend has had MS for about 25 years and at one time spent about 8 years in a wheelchair.  It's so nice to see him walking around without any aids.  When I asked him what his secret is, well he says he doesn't have one.  He never had the CCSVI procedure and it's a total mystery why his MRI shows remyelination.  He is on his threadmill everyday and his laugh and good humour is infectious.  He is my inspiration!

Most days I walk around the house with my walker now since I still have a lot of back pain.  Although my energy is still very good, my body is not very cooperative and I still drag both feet a lot, more so with the left leg.  I know I should be exercising but lack the motivation. 

I will post again once I get back from Barrie next week.  The good thing about this trip is seeing my sister and brother-in-law more often as they live in Orangeville.  I wish they lived closer as I love spending time with them

No comments:

Post a Comment